Join LLLI and WABA in Celebration of:
World Health Day, April 7, 2010:
1000 Cities, 1000 Lives
Please enjoy La Leche League International (LLLI) and the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action's (WABA) joint statement in celebration of World Health Day 2010 on the theme 1000 Cities, 1000 Lives. Read it here (PDF).
This year’s World Health Day theme addresses the challenges surrounding the growing urban population. The World Health Organization is calling upon cities across the globe to be counted among the 1000 cities dedicated to improving the health in urban areas.
- Virtually all population growth over the next 30 years will be in urban areas.
- The urban poor suffer disproportionately from a wide range of diseases and other health problems.
- The major drivers of health in urban settings are beyond the health sector.
- Actions and solutions exist to tackle the root causes of urban health challenges.
- Build partnerships with multiple sectors of society to make cities healthier.
Read the full statment here (PDF).